Monday, August 10, 2009

Resistance, Lovely Resistance

I titled this post at 10:16 am. It is now 10:26 pm. My 4 year-old son is finishing up his ice cream in the other room. I just ate mine. It's funny that I planned on talking about resistance today and then had this day.

Most of us encounter resistance at some point or another. I was planning to talk about mine this morning. And then I created some more. That crazy law of attraction. I probably shouldn't even talk about it now, but I cannot resist finishing this post 12 hours later with the knowledge of how my day went.

The resistance I planned to talk about was regarding wanting to quit my job. Indeed, planning to quit my job. It's been a crazy ride, just thinking about it. I seemed to be getting a lot of support for the crazy "leap and the net will appear" scenario I was planning. Until I told my mom.

Insert horror music here.

Yes, I am 37 years old. But, yes, my mom does live with us. So, I feel somewhat obliged to take her feelings into account. Notice I did say "into account". I still haven't told her that when I said, "Ok" after her fear-soaked rant to me about "making ends meet" and "the state of the economy," that I meant, "Ok, I heard you," and not, "Ok, I'm going to do what you want."

My intuition had told me that Friday was to be the day that I should give my 2 weeks notice. After the fear-soaked rant, I've just stopped thinking about it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I felt I needed to let it sit. I needed to do things that made me feel good. I needed to let the fear slide off me.

And I started to think about resistance. And I started noticing that I kept reading about the importance of the focus of the mind. And being tenacious. I was listening to an interview with writer Kevin L. Donihe, who discussed the importance of being tenacious as a writer. (Great word, so I have stolen it. He is an excellent wordsmith.) I've been reading Russell Brand's autobiography, (another excellent wordsmith), and he talks about the importance of tenaciousness in a number of places. And my own husband, Kevin Shamel (yet another amazing wordsmith), has had to be tenacious for years to get where he's gotten (about to have his first book published).

What do we do when we encounter resistance? Just keep at it. If you have to, alter your course, but don't give up. I might need to alter my course of action. But I will keep at it. I will create more freedom and more money and more love and more fun.

Just for fun (see how fast that was?), I will tell you that I ended up spending about six hours getting my husband's website started today. After that, I multi-tasked making brownies and scrambled eggs. I was so proud. (I haven't been very domestic lately.) Just as I was putting the eggs on my son's plate, I noticed that they smelled a little funny. I asked my mom if she thought so. Yes. I checked the expiration date on the package: over a week ago. The eggs AND the brownies (made with the same eggs) had to go right into the compost. Ack.

I persevered. We got fast food. My order was so wrong I could not even eat it. But we did go to the store and get brownies. Ahhh. And ice cream. I had the ice cream already. Maybe I'll go have a brownie. Oh wait, I'm getting sidetracked. But that was the kind of day it was. However, in the end, all has ended well. Because through it all, especially the six hour website fun, I persevered.

In fact, in a somewhat sweet turn of events, my son received a toy with his meal that he tried to manifest about 2 weeks ago: a stuffed bear. We had no intention of getting him another stuffed animal, and we have no fondness for stuffed bears. But there it was. When he said he wanted it a couple weeks ago, he even said that either we would get it for him or the universe would bring it. Funny, he didn't remember that he had wanted that, but we did. Good manifesting!

This day has been interesting. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going. I'm not sure exactly how I'll get there. I just know I will move forward, thinking of tenaciousness. I will let the resistance I encounter make me stronger and wiser and more appreciative.

But don't get me wrong, I'm willing to take things that come easy, too! (Maybe that will set me up for a more pleasant day tomorrow.)

Now, smooth sailing...

Thanks for your perseverance in reading this far.

Is anyone else's 4 year-old up at 11:00pm still?

No comments: