Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Take a break

I had an intense weekend. A lot of things came to me that I posted on here. A lot of things happened (or didn't happen!) in my day-to-day life. It was intense. At the end of it all, I had to just ask myself, "What do I do now?"

Myself answered, "Take a break."

Awesome. Good advice, Self. So, I pretty much did that. I gave myself some time and space to do what I wanted. I try to do that as much as possible these days, mostly because it's what I'm trying to create. More time. More freedom. More leisure. More fun.

As I've been experimenting with that, I realized just how many of the things on my to-do list are truly negotiable. I think sometimes we get stressed out under all the "shoulds" in our lives. As my friend said today, "Don't should all over yourself."

Of course, there are some things we really have to do in our lives. But, as one of my high school teachers was fond of saying, "All you really have to do is occupy space and die."

With that in mind, when we want a break, I think it pays to stand back and create it for ourselves. How many of the things we "should" be doing are self-imposed? In what ways can we free ourselves? The answers you come up with might surprise you.

No comments: