Friday, September 5, 2008

Manifestory: Conversations with God

Hey, I just came up with a new word: manifestory! I had originally entitled this Manifesting Story, but I like my shortened version so much better. That's what I'll be calling them. Manifestories. That's fun. So, without further ado...

The book Conversations with God came to me exactly when I needed it, exactly when I was ready for it, as is the case with anything. It ended up being a huge eye-opener for me, bringing me a lot of joy and information to bring myself to more joy. Basically, it offered a whole new world view that really made sense to me. The author, Neale Donald Walsch, was raised Catholic, like I was. We had come from a similar spiritual tradition and had both decided it wasn't really for us in the long run. However, I don't want to get into too many specifics about the book here. I just loaned out my well-worn, dog-eared, written-in copy to a friend for the first time. That was big for me. I don't know if I've ever loaned it out before. I never wanted to have it that far away from me. That's how much I loved it. But one of the coolest things was how it came to me.

I worked for a somewhat large company at the time. This was sometime in the mid-1990s. I was somewhere in my early to mid-20s. The HR department was having these big contests. You could win all sorts of prizes. Now, I had been raised in the "I never win anything" kind of family. Consequently, I almost never won anything. I looked over the list of prizes for this contest, which I believe was basically a raffle, and I thought, "I don't even WANT any of these prizes." Mostly they were giving away sporting events tickets and things like that. I don't really attend sporting events.

However, at the end of the list there was prize I wanted: a free New York Times Bestseller every month for a year. This was very exciting to me. I love books and I wasn't making a whole lot of money at the time. I very specifically remember a moment that stands still for me. (I see a similar moment in many of my manifestation memories. I'll probably share more.) At that moment, I thought, "That prize is for ME. That prize is MINE. No one deserves or will appreciate that prize more than I will. It is MINE." I had a certainty. I felt a power. And then I didn't win it. Just kidding. (Although I do have some stories like that I can tell.) I DID win it. And then a month or two later, I used that prize to get Conversations with God, which then explained to me how I had manifested it. Cool.

If you want to learn more about the book, click the pic.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting story Terri, thats a feeling a can certainly relate too. I shall have to check out that book sometime.

Terri said...

Thanks, M. It is a good book. Keeping having those feelings! And thanks for reading.