Thursday, September 18, 2008

Random Thought: Making Decisions and Following Impulses

I remember reading somewhere that successful people decide fast. (Kevin will love this. It drives him nuts how long I stew over decisions.) Successful people decide fast. They don't always make the BEST decision fast, but they just decide. Then they act. They sometimes make mistakes. It's not a big deal. They just move on. They just decide again.

I've been trying to follow that lately. One way I'm following it is by following my impulses. I am noticing that by doing this how often it is my first reaction to squelch my impulses. I am noticing that I actually have enough time to do the things I want to do by just doing them in the moment instead of hemming and hawing forever, wondering if I should or shouldn't. I guess it's the old nike thing. Just do it.

Here's a small example. It's silly really. I have a fragrance pen on my desk. You know, perfume, but it's just a little thing you brush on. I had the impulse this morning to brush some on. My first thought was, "Oh no. It's too early. I'm in my pjs." And then I realized, That's so silly! So I just brushed some on. And I'm enjoying the fragrance all morning.

Similarly yesterday, I wanted to use my most recent favorite mug for coffee. And then I thought, "Oh no, I shouldn't, I'll want to use that later." And then I thought again. How silly. I just used my mug and I was happy.

Just paying attention to those little thoughts and impulses can make a difference in the everyday joy we feel for little reasons. Nothing is more important than that I feel good. I do what I want when I want. I have what I want when I want. I noticed yesterday how I was depriving myself of things I already have and love for NO GOOD REASON! So, having said it before, I'll say it again. I do what I want when I want. I have what I want when I want.

And darn it, I smell good. And I'm about to have some fresh coffee in a big old green mug with a beautiful golden tree on it!

No comments: